Sunnyside of ‘shrooms wins 2016’s Amateur Mushroom Cook-off
Congratulations to Sherry Kozlowzki, of Morgantown, West Virginia for winning first place in 2016’s Amateur Mushroom Cook-off with her Sunnyside of ‘shrooms recipe. The recipe follows.
Sunnyside of ‘shrooms
By Sherry Kozlowski
Preparation Time: 15
Cook Time: 15
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
4 large Portabella mushroom caps
1 lb bacon
1 pint white mushrooms
2 Tbsp. Flour
2 c. Heavy cream
8oz. Grated Swiss cheese
1 large hothouse tomato
4 large eggs
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp. olive oil on Portabellas season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 7 minutes.Dice bacon and fry until crisp.
- Remove bacon from grease
- Sauté white mushrooms in bacon fat
- Add 2 Tbsp. of flour to the fat and mushroom mixture, to make a roux.
- Stir in heavy cream and heat until thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a tin foil lined baking sheets, place mushrooms cap side down. Stack bacon, a slice of tomato, cheese and an egg on top of the Portobello. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Stir remaining bacon in with gravy.
- Spoon gravy on top of stacked mushroom.
- Serve hot.