2018 Theme: Mushrooms Blended with Grassfed Beef or Lamb
Saturday, September 8, 10:30 am Kennett Square, PA
Special Thanks to our Contest Partners
COMPLETE CONTEST RULES
1st Prize – $1500 — Just added — A Golden Ticket to the 2018 World Food Championships in Orange Beach, Alabama to compete in the Burger category– ($1500 value, includes registration fees and travel allowance)
2nd Prize – $300
3rd Prize — $200
Runner-Up Finalists (3) — $100
All Finalists will receive a $250 Gift Card and Party Pack from True Aussie Beef and Lamb and a Kitchen Aid 3.5-Cup One-Touch 2-Speed Chopper with Extra Bowl
Special Challenge Butter Prize – Best Use of Challenge Butter with Mushrooms– $250
Open to all amateur cooks eighteen (18) years of age or older, who are residents of the United States, except members of The Mushroom Festival Committee and their immediate families, agencies and consultants of The Mushroom Festival and their immediate families.
All entries must be received by July 6, 2018. Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged.
World Food Championship Qualifying Event
The Mushroom Festival’s Amateur Mushroom Cook-Off is a qualifying event for the World Food Championship on Nov. 7 to 11, 2018 in Orange Beach, Alabama. The judges will award two Golden Tickets to the WFC event at the Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-Off. The winners are responsible for all entry fees and travel to participate.
- Must be an original recipe.
- Blended mushroom recipes require ground mushrooms to be mixed with a protein. As a trendy meat extender, the mushrooms create a unique, flavorful combination for burgers, meatballs, tacos, stuffing, or even a Bolognese sauce. The 2018 Mushroom Festival Amateur Cook-Off will focus on blending mushrooms with grassfed beef or lamb. At the Cook-off all recipes will be made with the Australian grassfed beef or lamb of our partner True Aussie Beef and Lamb.
- Must include Challenge Butter as an ingredient to be eligible for the special Challenge Butter prize.
- May contain any variety or combination of varieties of fresh mushrooms cultivated in the United States.
- Must contain no more than 12 ingredients (excluding water, salt and pepper). Ingredients must be readily available.
- Must take no longer than 1 hour to prepare, including cooking time.
- May be served hot or cold.
RESPONSIBILITIES AT COOK-OFF
- The Mushroom Festival will provide a double burner (stove top). Ovens are not provided. Contestants may bring a small toaster or household oven that will connect to 120v circuit. Contestants must provide extension cords to our power source.
- The Mushroom Festival will supply a worktable and a display table for each contestant.
- The Mushroom Festival will provide the following fresh mushrooms: white button, crimini, portabella, oyster, shiitake, maitake, and royal trumpet.
- True Aussie Beef and Lamb will provide the protein for all Finalists at the Cook-off. Each finalist will also receive True Aussie Beef and Lamb products per their winning recipe to practice with prior to the competition.
- Challenge Butter will provide Challenge Butter for finalists at the Cook-Off.
- KitchenAid will provide a 3.5-Cup One-Touch 2-Speed Chopper with Extra Bowl for finalists to use to create the perfect blend. Each finalist can take it home after the Cook-off.
- Recipes will be judged on Execution, Appearance, Taste and Most Creative Use of fresh mushrooms.
- All entries will be screened and some will be taste-tested by an expert panel, to select the cook-off finalists.
- Cook-off finalists will be notified by July 30, 2018. Non-finalists will not be notified.
- In the event that a selected finalist is unable to enter the cook-off, another finalist will be selected in his/her place. You may not have someone else prepare your recipe.
- Final judging will be conducted by a panel of town officials, culinary professionals and Mushroom Festival Committee members. Panel of judges will not know the names of the finalists until the judging is completed.
- The winners will be announced immediately following the judging.
- The cook-off will be held at The Mushroom Festival on Saturday, September 8 at 10:30 am in the Special Events Tent. Here finalists will prepare their blended mushroom dish from start to finish.
- The contestants must bring all other ingredients for at least 4 servings, preparation and cooking utensils as well as the dishes for presenting the finished dish to the judges.
- Ingredients may not be prepped ahead of time and brought to the cook-off.
- Contestants encouraged to post their entries on Instagram using #aussiebeeflamb, #goodgriefcook, #mushroomfestival, #challengebutter, #mushrooms
HOW TO ENTER
- Fill out the online entry form (below) or download the entry form and return by email or mail. Mushroom Festival 2018 Amateur Cook-Off Rules 2018 Amateur MushroomCook-Off Application
- All recipes must be clearly printed or typed.
- Only one (1) recipe may be submitted per person, so send in your best!
- List each ingredient in order of use with the amount needed and clear directions for preparing the dish.
- Include your name, address, and phone number at the top of the recipe you enter, if return by mail or email.
- A photograph of the finished dish must be included with the application.
- You may submit your application by email to: email@example.com. Place Mushroom Cook-off in the subject line; by mail to Mushroom Festival, P. O. Box 1000, Kennett Square, PA 19348; OR use the online application process from our website.
- The Mushroom Festival is not responsible for late, lost, or illegible entries.
- Liability for applicable federal, state or other taxes will be the sole responsibility of the individual winners.
- Contestants are responsible for all travel expenses to and from the Amateur Mushroom Cook-Off.
- Only one cash prize will be given to an entrant. (Challenge Butter Prize excluded).
- This contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Entries become the property of The Mushroom Festival, Inc. and cannot be returned.
- By entering the contest, all participants consent to the commercial use of their name, picture and recipe without additional compensation.
- Contestants agree to be bound to these official rules and the decisions of the judges.
All applications MUST be received by July 6, 2018 to be considered for a finalist position – no exceptions!